So here we are at yet another weekend. The saddest thing I read this week was a self congratulatory blog post about not knowing about the impending government shut down until it the day it happened, because being completely ignorant of major national or world events that are WEEKS in the making somehow makes you a badass. Ignorant and proud, baby! Believe it or not, there is a sizable difference in relative importance of major news events and celebrity gossip. You should make a point to be aware of the former, the latter is irrelevant.
I could go on about the utter stupidity of this stance for at least a thousand more words, but I’ll refrain as i’d like to get around to enjoying my weekend. Let’s see what the land of links has to offer us today. No tripe, just posts that will make you a more erudite investor and maybe increase your net worth.
This week I recommend that you check out the following links. Presented in the order that I came across them.
- Dividend Growth Investor gives us an inspiring piece reminding us that even if you only have a small amount of money on hand, you can get started in dividend growth investing.
- Freedom 35 Blog gives us an interesting calculator to help determine whether you should be investing or paying down debt.
- Two great articles from the College Investor this week. First an article pointing out the connection between interest rates and dividend paying stocks. Long story short, the price of dividend stocks tends to move in the opposite direction of interest rates.
- Second article from the College Investor details how the upcoming (now upon us) government shut down may affect your investments.
- For you younger readers, or older readers with kids soon to start college, read the Weakonomics guide to picking a college major. If you’re going to take out massive debt to get a degree, make sure that your future earnings potential will be enough to pay back said debt.
- Free Money Finance outlines his real estate investing objectives and strategy.
- Dividend Monk provides an analysis of Chevron (CVX).
- The College Investor goes for a hat trick with an analysis of Wal-Mart (WMT).
Readers: How did your week go?
Filed under: Link Love · Tags: link love, roundup